5 Dishes you Should Never Miss While in Nyanza

Photo: Typical  Luo Dish(Source/Instagram)
 
I decided to quench my dietary lust by traveling to Kendu Bay town which is nestled in the vibrant Homabay county. I engaged genteel locals who helped me unearth the hidden gem of the Luo tradition -their dishes.

If you enjoy cooking or devouring nutritious dishes, read on as this article sheds light on the diverse Luo dishes you can try while in Kendu Bay.

1. Nyoyo(Githeri)

While in Kendubay, I dug into a delicious dish of Nyoyo which is made-up of softened maize and beans. I was struck by the special energy potatoes added to my plate. 

More From Lifestyle

- Kikuyu Men: Here Could Just be the Much Needed Antidote to Your Women Sleeping in Tracksuits

- How the Law of Hyena is Applied by Members of Kikuyu Community

- Samidoh: The Untold Story Before the Name and the Tamed Fame

- Things That Rural Kids of Yesteryears Would not Dare Toy Around With

In rural Luo homes, you'll most probably be served this nutritious food. This staple is considered easy to prepare as it doesn't demand any special seasoning, a tomato, and onion will get the wheels rolling for you.

2. Ombambla

Ombambla is a traditional dried fish delicacy which considered heavenly within Luo homesteads. It's mostly prepared by drying tilapia or nile perch in the sun so as to wedge in the heavenly flavor. If you would slide over to any fish eatery in Kendu Bay, I'd advise you to order a plate of Obambla and you won't regret it.

Being a casual foodie, I remember getting away from the crowds and hearing myself think as I gobbled on a wholesome Obambla served with ugali. However, Obambla comes with a pungent smell which for some can be a pain in the ass.

3. Fermented porridge

I spent a week enjoying the grandeur of Kendu Town. Every day before I'd leave home for the pristine gardens I would dangle my feet in satisfaction as I slurped on a mug of fermented porridge. Rural Luo homes offer up Nyuka made from the flour of corn, sorghum, or millet and in most cases served with sweet potatoes. If the day to day pressure becomes insurmountable, how about you ease up with a mug of nyuka.

Traditionally, fermented porridge has for many years be linked with the old folks in Luo communities, however, this has since changed.

4. Aliya(Sun Dried Beef)

This is one of the best culinary delights of the Luo community. The dried beef stew, or rather Aliyah is a delicacy well worth a try. Decades ago, when refrigerators had not yet graced the rural landscape, I was told that Aliyah was being prepared as a way of preserving meat. When a cow was slaughtered, huge chunks would be dried in the sun for at least three days after which they'd consume it at a later date.

To prepare this culinary delight, you'll need to chop your beef into big chunks. You will also need Onions, Tomatoes, Cooking oil, Spices to pack in the flavor, Bean shell ashes, salt and water.

5. Dek Apoth Osuga

These dietary staples are hands down the spine of the Luo culinary charm. They are vegetables common in Nyanza, partly because they are easy to grow or harvest.

To really get a feel of these vegetables, you'll need to devour them with a hot ugali- stiff porridge. These vegetables are chocked full of history as for centuries they've been the preferred dishes for the Luo population.

After enjoying Luo traditional dishes, I found myself exchanging smiles with locals who gave me more reasons to travel to Rural Nyanza