RUTO CITIZEN TV INTERVIEW: A Recap of Everything That the DP Spoke About in 3 Minutes


Deputy President William Ruto has spoken on an array of issues pertaining his role as the inaugural DP under the 2010 constitution.

By Ndung'u Wa Gathua

DP Ruto has also weighed in on the debate of his bitter fallout with his boss President Uhuru Kenyatta which has left him playing a 'spectator' role in government.

"It is different to be a DP where you are not elected in a constituency. I have had more time to serve Kenya than previous VPs. I am happy in this government," Ruto told Citizen TV on Thursday evening during a prerecorded interview.

Matiang'i Perversity & Sidelining in Government Running

"I am not bothered by junior people who call me names. There is something wrong with juniors who insult their seniors.

"Politics is different from a church service," he added in an apparent reference to Interior CS Dr Fred Matiang'i whom his camp has on many occasions accused of insurbodination.

On his sidelining in the day-to-day running of government, Ruto said he is not bothered as it is the prerogative of the President to assign duties.

"I have been called a spectator, a guy running a big office without power. I want to say that my job is a constitutional duty to assist the President. Any job I have been given by the President I have done well."

"It is the President who assigns duties and when he assigns duties to others, and they do it, I am happy with it. My life is easy. You have not heard me complain," Ruto said.

Fallout With Uhuru

Ruto would also appear to brush off the divide between him and Uhuru saying that the situation between the latter and himself is one that is agreed upon. 

"In the first term, it was UhuRuto.In the second term, we want to build a legacy for the President. I am the DP and I know my place."

"We have a solid legacy as Jubilee administration around infrastructure, electricity, education. We are focused and want to deliver on our commitment," he said.

UhuRaila Handshake

On the handshake between UhuRaila, Ruto noted that it had introduced a different dynamic to management of issues and a lot of politics adding that politics has a way of creating negative energy that creates diversionary issues around the intended goal.

KEMSA Scandal

Concerning the KEMSA scandal, Ruto would reiterate on his position where he earlier in the week accused Raila of 'shifting position' and issuing ambiguous statements on the same. 

This is as he reprimanded the government agencies entrusted with fighting graft for what he termed as 'politicization and sensationalization' of the anti-graft war.

"My position is very consistent. I have been opposed to criminal investigations being profiled in the media. I am against drama. Let EACC, DCI, DPP do their work," Ruto asserted.
Deep State & Presidential Poll

On the so-called 'deep state', Ruto would seem to blame the proliferation of the narrative on Raila who has been a perennial elections loser.

"There is a fallacy, a narrative that elections are not won, they are stolen. Some people cannot live with the reality that one can lose an election so they create a bogeyman called deep state," - Ruto.

"The best way to find out if an election was rigged is to subject it to due process. From where I sit, it is not easy to rig an election and get away with it," the DP said.

He added: "We need to unpack the ‘winner takes it all' notion. Explain what it means. We must ensure all elections are credible. Those who win in an election work for all, even those who voted against them. Those who lose provide oversight which is also important."