Joy, deep reflections as renowned Gatura Gatanga businessman's daughter graduates

EDUCATION
Jane Wangu Kahiga/Courtesy.
"Don't waste your time on jealousy; Sometimes you're ahead, Sometimes You're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself, " the most commercially successful Australian film director, screenwriter, producer and actor Baz Luhrmann says in his 1999 successful spoken word song 'Sunshine'.

By Ndung'u Wa Gathua

Whether Jane Wangu Kahiga has ever come across this song or not, which anyway could be as old as her, she spoke loudly and clearly to it on Saturday, 21st September, 2019 during her colorful and well-attended graduation ceremony reception at Ithanji Village in Gatanga Sub-county.

Being the most conspicuous guest of the day who had managed to pull guests from far and wide, Jane as she is popularly known among villagers, did not shy away from speaking on 'intellectual jealousy' that has become a common phenomenon in the locality, yet many including those who have fallen victim of it, would rather speak of it behind closed doors.

"I am so happy to know that all these people who have gathered here today have done it purposely because of me. I must say that I am overwhelmed with joy but at the same time I feel like shedding tears when I know that some of us here today may be feeling the exact opposite," Jane said to the ululation of the crowd.

"This shouldn't be the case because I believe that one more lit candle in our village, can only mean more light. To all parents here, support us we your children and don't feel jealous of my success today merely because your own child failed yesterday. God has different but good plans for all of us. To fellow youngsters like me, let's make it a culture of supporting each other irrespective of our education, background and perceptions," the Moi University Bachelors in Procurement & Supply graduate added in impeccable Kikuyu.

Jane who gave a lengthy, unwritten speech albeit inspiring to the amazement of many, echoed her octogenarian maternal grandfather, Francis Nuthua, who had earlier spoken strongly against 'witchcraft' noting that 'our locality' has turned into a 'man-eat-man society' where some are hellbent on bringing others down for no apparent reason.

Wangu's mother, Nancy Wairimu (Nyina Wa Mungai) who was third-last to speak before the event wound up, was all smiles as she recounted her bumpy journey with her last born kid among four.

Mr Francis Kahiga & Mrs Nancy Wairimu/Courtesy.
"Jane, congratulations! Sometimes I doubted whether you will ever achieve what your three elder siblings had managed before you. But today all my doubts have gone with the wind. All your siblings who have already spoken here, have whispered to me that you have promised them that this is just the beginning. All the best my daughter. Sky is the limit," Nyina Wa Mungai said.

However, the big day would have ended half-baked if the 'lion' of the house, Francis Kahiga, (Jane's father) didn't have his voice and feelings heard about his fourth and last-born child to achieve at least one degree, a rare fĂȘte in Ngabuya Location.

"I will not be lying here if I say that educating one's children is not only important but beneficial. While my dear wife and I have struggled so much while educating these four children, today I can shamelessly say that I have seen the value of moulding your children into responsible and independent beings. God knows and I know too well that there is value in educating own kids and no parent here should feel otherwise," Kahiga said amid cheers.

Here at 254NewsDay can only wish JANE WANGU KAHIGA all the best in her immediate and future endeavours as she opens yet another chapter in life! CONGRATULATIONS!!!